Dev Post #9 – 10/31/2016 to 11/4/2016

Finishing Up Tablet Updates

Due to the issue we were running into last week with the “Save” button not actually doing much saving, we’ve opted to change the text to “Continue” to reflect the idea that changes will persist as you make them, not after you press the save button. In essence the button on screen has now become a glorified back button, but our users like the button on screen and I think renaming it helps solidify the workflow for each damaged item.

With this change in mind, all things that were getting updated on the button press now have to be done in real time – that is I had to add a text watcher to the comments box so comments would get saved as they were written and I had to update the list of people who need to be billed for that specific item as the corresponding list item is pressed in the view.

The remainder of the updates were mostly formatting changes to make the view look nicer. In the list items when a person is still checked into the room that the item being inspected is related to, instead of displaying their check out time as “None”, we display “Checked In”. I also sat with one of our designers for about an hour or so to make some formatting changes – mainly adjusting spacing to line things up and logically separate them a bit more on the page, as well as some coloring changes (just text color to white so it contrasted with the blue background, and then colors for the list items so they fit the color scheme of the rest of the app better).

Cleaned Rooms

I did some pairing with Josh working on setting up some functionality for housekeeping to be able to mark vacant rooms as cleaned. This entailed adding a new table to the database to track when rooms were cleaned, as well as a corresponding repository to access the information, and then all the necessary models and mappers that goes along with that. We’re trying to move toward separating the project up into smaller projects in the Onion Architecture style, so I took this opportunity to show Josh how separating our models into database, domain, and view layers helps reducing coupling between distinct parts of the application. This card admittedly threw a lot of new stuff at Josh, so I was really more than happy to sit and walk him through the general workflow I follow when adding features like this one.

While I feel I got some good work done this week, especially in regard to helping out Josh (he’s learning really fast and it’s super encouraging to me), there wasn’t much that was especially challenging. With that said, I did have to cut my week relatively short on Wednesday and Thursday because I had on-site interviews that pulled me out of the office for the majority of both days.

Advertisements